Text to Vote and SMS Text Polling Campaigns
An sms text to vote campaign is a great way to involve a live audience! Whether it’s the middle school talent show or a fortune 500 business seminar, keeping your audience engaged has never been easier! SMS text polling is also a great way to keep customers engaged with your product or service and gathering their phone numbers to send them special offers and bring them back to your business time and a again!
TXT180 text to vote campaign is easy to setup and use in 5 simple steps:
- Create a group for each option a person can vote on. For example, the middle school has 10 talent show contestants; create a group with extensions 1-10 – or make it custom by using the name of each contestant. To have the audience vote you will tell them to text keyword-extension to the short code number. Let’s say the middle school is Cherry Hill Middle School and they are using chms as the keyword on our 21000 short code. To vote the students will text chms-amy to 21000 to vote for Amy. Click on My Groups, Add Group to create a group.
- Create a custom message to be returned, something like “Your vote has been counted for Amy – one vote per person! :)” That message is what you will put as the Default Message when you create the group.
- Set a Group Name for each group – this can be the same as the extension or if you used numbers as the extension you might want to use the contestants name here instead – what you put as the Group Name is what will show up on the live graph and throughout the dashboard. (Description is optional and no one sees this unless they are logged into your TXT180 account – this is used for additional information for you, could be something like 8th grade student.)
- Handling Duplicate Contacts – We recommend with voting or an sms text polling campaign that you set this to Ignore. If people do try to text in multiple times, to make sure who they want to win, wins – middle schoolers are famous for this!, it will make sure they don’t keep getting the default message over and over. Their number will only be added once regardless but those messages add up quick and you don’t want to be paying for hundreds of wasted messages!
- Show on Graph – check the box for show on graph if you want a graph showing a quick count of the total number of votes for each contestant. There is a live URL you can use that auto-refreshes every 10 seconds – if you want to put this up on a screen where the audience can watch the results live. If you don’t want to show it live you may still want to use the graph feature and screenshot the results at the end of the voting period – that way stragglers don’t text in later and skew the results. (Be sure to use the Graph Options tab at the top of the My Groups page to Enable Graph and set Auto Refresh – if you are showing live results.)
That’s it! Once you have all your groups set up your text to vote campaign is active and ready to go! Print the instructions on your program, put them up on the jumbo screen, or just explain how it works during your presentation.
An sms polling campaign may be something that is longer running but setting it up is the same! Maybe you have a frozen yogurt shop and you want to run a poll with your customers to see which new flavor is their favorite so you can decide which to add permanently to the menu. Easy! Setup groups with the new flavor types and put up instructions in the shop on how to vote! “Text FroYo-alohapineapple to 21000 to vote for Aloha Pineapple”. Create a list of the options and set a flyer by the register or next to your free samples! This is a great way to engage your customers and collect cell numbers with established permission to text them! You also have groups of people you know that love a particular flavor so you can use custom group text messages to entice them to come in for their favorite frozen treat!
As always, you can check out the TXT180 sms video tutorials on the site, or in your dashboard, but if you still have questions contact support using the live chat or send us an email firstname.lastname@example.org – we’re always happy to help!
Originally Posted on: March 15, 2018
Posted in: Text Marketing Tips
Tags: how to use text to vote, sms text polling, sms text to vote